Saturday, January 11, 2014


Here are a few Preemie Quilts and a Doll Quilt waiting to be quilted. I started working on this year's batch last week. So far, I have about ten of them done. The scrap donation pile never seems to get
These quilts may have to wait a bit before being quilted since I started quilting this flannel quilt with a flannel back. It gives my arms a workout. After doing the straight line quilting -- four horizontal and four vertical lines -- I'm going to quilt from the outside in. I find that makes it easier to maneuver the quilt. It also helps me know where I've been and where I'm going. Thread without much contrast with the fabric can be challenging. This will be one project that I quilt during the day since the machine sits next to a window with great light. Quilting on this at night makes it more of an adventure, and I don't want to be picking stitches out of 2 layers of flannel and batting.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Friday, December 20, 2013


I don't know why this pattern is called Humbug Bag, but I made a few of them. I was happy with the results. I put a spool of Mettler thread inside each one and gave them as gifts. The recipients were happy too.

Saturday, December 14, 2013


This quilt, made from the BQ 2 pattern by Maple Island Quilts, should have been a quick, easy quilt to make. Instead it was time consuming, challenging and frustrating. Putting it together was easy enough, except that one block is off a quarter turn. I noticed that after the quilt was pin basted and I left alone. I wasn't going to take all those pins out and fix it.

The light colored pink fabric is an old batik. It is so dense that it is difficult for the needle to pierce the fabric. The final solution after trying four different needles and two spools of thread was to use a size 90 Superior needle with Superior So Fine thread and quilt very slowly. I could hear the thud every time the  needle hit the fabric. It was definitely a lesson in patience.

Saturday, November 23, 2013


Here are two quick table runners. The one with fall colors used a fat quarter for the three centers and stash fabrics to finish it off. I really wanted to do a bias binding with stripes since the last time I tried it, it didn't work well. This time I am happy with the results.

The Christmas runner is from a stash of Christmas fabrics. The pattern calls for 6 logs per side, but I used four so that it would fit table it's intended for.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013


This quilt isn't all that big, but it's heavy. I used a batting Second that was marked "thick and thin," and I think it was much more dense than I normally use. The quilt was going to have a lot of dark browns alternating with the light strips. It looked too muddy so I started adding some gold and yellow. I used an batik wide back that is stiff even though it's been washed (to try and soften it up). The combination of a stiff backing fabric and dense batting made for an unruly quilt. I decided to keep the quilting simple---straight lines on the diagonal.

Thursday, October 31, 2013


The larger quilt made up of five-inch squares got sent off for the baby shown on the quilt label. I photo transferred the birth announcement. The three doll quilts were included for the baby's big sisters (and one for the baby). I hope all the quilts get used, abused and loved.